Wednesday, April 22, 2009

G is for Grapes of Wrath, and Other Classics I've Never Read.

So, here's a confession: There are a lot, and I mean A LOT, of classic literature that I have never read. In high school, rather than get the basics, the "advanced level kids" (read: super nerds) were taught the more obscure literature. Kafka, Conrad, a painfully long section on Shakespearean sonnets. We never got Grapes of Wrath, The Great Gatsby or Great Expectations. Apparently, that kind of stuff was to be "leisure reading" for the super nerds. Riiight. I was doing only the work I had to, to get by and get out of high school.

Now, I am at a point in my life where I really feel a need to catch up on those things. Well, at the very least, I have 11 very lonely months coming up and I really want this.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Not Grapes of Wrath! *shudders* I still can't get past the pages and pages of a turtle crossing the road:P

Unknown said...

I am not sure I could get full book enjoyment out of one of those digital readers...you know. the feeling of accomplishment plowing through a thick book...dog ears....or just tossing it in disgust. Gone With The Wind is way better read than the movie. To Kill a Mockingbird...awesome either way.
Good reading plan. Love ya.

Crystal said...

I'm right with you on this one. Though I did have to read Great Expectations in 9th grade. We missed out on so many, but the thought of reading a "classic novels" or trashy brit lit....you know which one I prefer :)