Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Why We Write in Pencil.

Last summer, I was reintroduced to the joy and wonder of the Day Planner. Even my empty schedule seemed exciting with "Coffee with Em - 11.30" or "Start new bottle of Insulin" written in bright colors with various friendly animal stickers decorating the days. I stopped dreading the days highlighted with "Field Exercise," when those days also said, "Meet Erin for Panera Bread" or "Molly+Tea Doggie Play Date."

Days are a little less exciting now that The Big Move looms ever closer. "Coffee!" has all but been replaced with "Overseas Screening!" and "Play Date" with "Dentist - 5 fillings". Furthermore, I have learned the importance (to a military wife) of writing key events in pencil. That big day in late May that once said "Flight to Oki," has been rewritten to read "Matt flies to Oki." Two weeks later, you'll find the entry, "Andrea and Molly fly to Oki."

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. I thought we were doing this together! I thought this was a family event! What happens when my iPod dies on the eight hour flight? I can't very well grab the iPod of the stranger sitting next to me, can I? And what about Molly? She needs her daddy to tell her everything will be all right. So does her Mom.

I guess this is where I need to remember that God's got it all together. He works all things for the good of those who love Him. He has a plan for good, to give me a future and hope. I'm holding on to those promises as tightly as possible.

No comments: