Saturday, June 28, 2008

Flea Markets and Friends...

This morning, Matt and I decided to check out the Camp Courtney bi-monthly Flea Market. I'm not sure what we were expecting, but we certainly didn't find it. Apparently, "Flea Market" translates into "Mass yard sale of things people have found on the side of the road on bulk trash day" in Okinawan. It would have been a total bust, had I not invited my good friend Stacee from Virginia Beach to scour the piles of random stuff with me. I hadn't seen her since she left the beach and it was beyond good to catch up. It also reminded me why good friends and great people are important to you mental well-being. Unlike the night before when I gasped to a few of Matt's friend's wives "Can you believe Jamie Lynn had her baby?!" and got responses of "Who's Jamie Lynn?" and "I didn't even know she was pregnant!", that comment to Stacee was met with "Oh my gosh, and did you hear there were all these complications?!" Which made me feel like a s;lightly better person for my celeb gossiping ways. Her comments about John Cusack also made me feel more at home, but that is for another time and place.

I guess the point of this is to say, I do have one good friend over here and I am working to make a few more. Keep that in your prayers. Oh, and driving. It's a little stressful.

P.S. I'm not sure I can trust someone who says "John Cusack? Yeah, he's all right in Serendipity, I guess, but I don't really like him." HE'S A CUBS FAN. Really, people.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

And he's JOHN CUSACK. There's is no other prerequisite for coolness! Oy.

Andi said...

I know, right?? Minus the uber-liberal tendencies, he's practically the perfect man (if he's anything like his characters).

Crystal said...

A girl I went to hygiene school with is getting married to a Marine Officer in November. Then they're going to be stationed in Quantico and he is going to be boss man of the OCS program. Pretty ironic. I definitely think that she will have a difficult time adjusting to being an Officer's Wife though - yikes!

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.