Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My First Coffee.

In The Basic School, we spouses are scared straight with a little pamphlet known as The Parade Rest Book. It is handed out to the new Officer’s wives as a resource on the etiquette expected of us, often with the terrifyingly deficient caveat: “Some of the stuff in here is really outdated.” Thanks.

Coffees are a part of Officer’s spouse culture, and up until last night, I had avoided these “networking” functions. You all know that the mere thought of schmoozing makes me feel terribly nauseated. Spending two to three hours with wives I’ve never met? Doesn’t sound like a good time to me, even without the advice I received during TBS. “Dress appropriately -- only wear dress slacks as a last resort!” “Whatever you do, DO NOT arrive early!” Hostess gifts, calling cards, proper conversation… It’s enough to make your head spin.

Last night was my first coffee and lucky for me, I didn’t have to go alone. Another wife from across the street carpooled with me and we were both able to avoid any of those awkward standing alone moments. I was able to introduce her to a few women I’ve met and we got to know one another a little better.

In the end, all of the anxiety was unwarranted. I met a new friend and learned a little about the options available to wives here. Painless, for the most part.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you come by "forced socialization anxiety" genetically...but you are much better at getting through it. Taking a friend is an excellent idea.
No matter what jobs or locations come along, this is something that never goes away--you have to mix and mingle. Just remember all the good friends you have made over the years...and smile. MOM

Crystal said...

And if all else fails...wear cowboy boots and a mini skirt and get everyone talkin!