Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Food!

Taco Rice
Taco Rice is an Okinawan phenomenon, and while I was initially wary of rice topped with taco accoutrements, I have since become a huge fan of the Taco Rice. It’s basically rice with taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and salsa, the last two being my favorite parts. I’ve made it several times at home with fresh(ish) guacamole and highly suggest you all make it at home, too.

Sushi/ Sushi go round
Matt loves sushi. Loves it enough for the both of us… and Molly. I could go on (but I won’t). We go out for sushi probably every other weekend. Sushi places are relatively common Stateside, but something new we’ve found is the Sushi-go-round. The idea of a sushi-go-round is simple: The sushi chef continuously creates lovely little sushi yummies and puts each piece or pair on a colored plate corresponding to the price of the sushi. The plates go on a conveyor belt around the sushi center and as the sushi passes you, you are free to grab whatever your heart desires. Matt loves sushi-go-rounds and often over-indulges in the sushi goodness.

Macdonald’s/Mos Burger
While we do have several McDonald’s on-island, there is also the Japanese equivalent: Mos Burger. I had Mos for the first time last week and it was great. The staff was amazingly polite and helped me count out my yen. We engaged in a bow-off when she handed me my to-go bag. This embarrassed Matt greatly. Haha. My teriyaki burger was sufficient and the French fries were pretty good. This is probably where Angel and I will eat when my family comes to visit and Matt finally has sushi buddies.

More to come…

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank goodness for Sushi alternatives...i usually get stuck with Teriyaki chicken so I'm used to having it instead:)
We gotta have Taco rice too!
Tonight we're having Chicken corn chowder

Crystal said...

At least Matt hasn't started to spear his own sea creatures at the beach then require that you make it into sushi for him.

Unknown said...

did your b'day gift arrive yet?

Andi said...

Hmm... not yet... I'll keep checking.